Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Metropolitan Special Exhibit (Punk: From Chaos to Couture) Photos

Here are my (not so candid) photos of the Met's 5th most popular exhibit to date. Before people (potentially) begin harping on me and telling me that no photos were allowed (mind you, I was by no means the only one taking pictures), my pseudo excuse is that I was originally going to keep these photos for my own inspirational purposes but after a particularly nasty encounter with one of the museum staff I decided to upload all of the photos of the clothes I managed to sneak. I concede, this blog post is my not so mature act of rebellion.*

Despite the critiques  I've seen floating around the internet (claiming that the whole show was ingenuine--that punk is an organic style and the exhibition was too obviously curated, editorial and commercial), I thought that the exhibit accomplished what it set out to do: educate those who did not necessarily grow up during this era, remind those who did, and showcase iconic (or punk inspired) pieces. The museum didn't promise to recreate the phenomenon (the atmosphere driving the designers' visions) or to examine the societal influence and impact of the fashion...
Needless to say, I enjoyed the whole spectacle enormously (It featured bondage pants and clothes of Westwood [I mean, Vivienne Westwood defined punk] and Watanabe...some of my favorite designers so what's not to love?).


Entrance with two mannequins clothed in Westwood and Dior (I believe)
Click Post title for more photos and witty captions (not really)



Versace safety pin dress

I am not a fan of this dress--something is vaguely unappealing...whether it's the cheap looking lace or the obscene transparent length...ah well--punk is, after all, about pushing the limits of fashion and disregard trends--to provoke, perturb, incense and shock onlookers/outsiders, right? Btw...excessive use of the thesaurus, no?




Perfection...


The waist piece reminds me of a chastity belt...or is it just me?
This photo does no justice to the piece...what I meant to take a picture of was the multitude of safety pins on the fingertips of the gloves--splendid.

Same as above...full shot of the outfit with the intricate safety pin design on the torso

I don't know what to think of the gigantic pyramid studs...on one hand they are just so distastefully large but on the other hand they do make a statement (and the better to see them)
 The following room was my favorite gallery--what with the unconventional materials (my favorites were the Margiela dish vest, McQueen faux trash bag quilted pieces, and the envelope slip) and the ambient pink lighting...
Fluffy ostriches :)


Margiela


I am strangely attracted to the envelope shift dress despite the fact that one will be literally wearing a paper bag (better than wearing a trash bag teehee)

closeup (overexposed photo...)







Adore...






The "graffiti" words are actually painted clear sequins 



I am strangely attracted to the crotch revealing pants...

The shirt reads: Please don't arrest me ♥


Paint splattered Grecian togas




*For more photos of the galleries as a whole, do check out Met's page: http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2013/punk/gallery-views

No comments:

Post a Comment